As the allure of Vietnam’s diverse landscapes, rich history, and vibrant culture continues to captivate travelers from around the world, the prospect of embarking on a Vietnamese adventure is an exciting one. However, before you can set foot in this enchanting country, you’ll need to navigate the process of obtaining a Vietnam tourist visa. Vietnam offers a variety of visa options, and understanding the application process and requirements is crucial to ensure a smooth entry into the country. In this article, VTJ will explore everything you need to know about applying for a Vietnam tourist visa in 2023!
>>>Read more: Visa in Vietnam: Vietnam Visa Application & Requirements in 2023
>>>Read more: How to Apply for Vietnam e-Visa 2023: Costs & Processing Time
What Is A Vietnam Tourist Visa?
What Is A Vietnam Tourist Visa? A Vietnam tourist visa allows foreigners to enter Vietnam for tourism purposes
A Vietnam tourist visa is an official document that allows foreign nationals to enter Vietnam for tourism purposes. It grants travelers the permission to explore the country’s natural beauty, cultural heritage, and historical sites. A tourist visa is essential for your journey.
>>>Read more: Vietnam Emergency Visa – Expedited & Urgent Vietnam Visa 2023
Who Is Eligible For Vietnam Tourist Visa?
Who Is Eligible For Vietnam Tourist Visa? Eligibility for a Vietnam tourist visa extends to citizens of many countries
Eligibility for a Vietnam tourist visa extends to citizens of many countries around the world. While the specific eligibility criteria may vary based on nationality and bilateral agreements, in general, tourists from a wide range of countries can apply for a Vietnam tourist visa.
It’s important to note that tourist visas are specifically for tourism purposes and cannot be used for business activities. Foreigners visiting Vietnam on a tourist visa are not permitted to work or engage in any business-related endeavors during their stay.
>>>Read more: Vietnam Visa on Arrival (Vietnam Voa) 2023: How to Apply
Vietnam Tourist Visa Conditions
To acquire a tourist visa, foreigners need to meet the following requirements:
- Foreigners must currently be residing outside of Vietnam.
- Foreigners must possess a passport that is valid for at least 6 months from the date of arrival.
- Foreigners must have a round-trip air ticket to Vietnam.
- Foreigners must provide proof of hotel room booking or a tour arranged by a recognized Vietnam travel agency.
- Individuals who are not prohibited from entering Vietnam are eligible to apply for a tourist visa.
>>>Read more: What documents do foreigners in Vietnam need in 2023?
How To Apply For A Vietnam Tourist Visa
Vietnam tourist Visa application process
Before applying for a Vietnam tourist visa, make sure you have the following documents and information ready:
- Valid passport with a minimum of 6 months validity from the date of arrival.
- Passport-sized photos (usually 2 photos).
- Travel itinerary, including flight details and accommodation bookings.
- Sufficient funds to cover your stay in Vietnam.
>>>Read more: Vietnam entry procedures and visa extension for foreigners – updated 2023
Tourist Visa At Embassy/Consulate
If you prefer to have your visa already stamped on your passport in advance, applying for a visa at the Embassy/Consulate is the most common method.
- Visit the Vietnam Embassy/Consulate in your country and submit all the required documents. Make sure to carefully check the specific requirements as they may vary among different embassies in different countries.
- Pay the visa fee, which varies depending on the embassy.
- Return to the embassy to collect your original passport with the visa affixed to it, if your application is approved.
>>>Read more: Vietnam Business Visa 2023 [Updated]: Requirements & How to apply
Share Your Expat Experience and Get Paid: Become a Freelance Video Maker for VTJVietnam Teaching Jobs$5 - $7 for a short video.
[HA NOI] IELTS TEACHERS (PART-TIME)IVYPREP EDUCATION JSCUp to 22$/hour;
[THU DAU MOT CITY] FULLTIME NATIVE ENGLISH TEACHERSWall Street EnglishGuaranteed monthly salary; Visa, work permit, TRC, health check and police check paid for by WSE; A one-month completion bonus
[Hanoi] Primary Principal for International TrackTrue North SchoolCompetitive financial package, bonus, incentives; Up to 33 leave days per academic year; Premium healthcare insurance
FULL-TIME Expat ESL Teachers in Binh Duong and Dong NaiVUS The English CenterStarting from: 18.5$ to 20.5$/hour; Housing allowance; Comprehensive work permit and visa/TRC support & remuneration
[HANOI] FULL-TIME IELTS TEACHERSCAMBRIDGE LMSUp to 2000$/ month, Support Visa, Work permit, TRC, Bonus: 500$/ year
[HANOI] PRIMARY HOMEROOM TEACHERHorizon International Bilingual School2300 - 3000 USD; Housing Allowance; Free lunch at school
FULL-TIME Expat ESL Teachers Wanted - Up to 25 mil VND bonus for early startVUS The English CenterStarting from: 18.5$ to 20.5$/hour; Visa/TRC & work permit renewal costs covered
[Hanoi] Admissions Officer (Expat only)True North SchoolCompetitive salary package; Premium healthcare insurance; 22+ paid leave days per year
[Hanoi] Secondary/High School Math TeacherTrue North SchoolCompetitive financial package, bonus, incentives; Premium healthcare
Tourist Visa On Arrival
This option is available for air travelers and offers convenience and flexibility in terms of duration of stay and entry times.
- Contact a Vietnam visa agency to apply for a pre-approved visa letter online. This letter is necessary for boarding the plane and obtaining a visa stamp at Vietnam airports. The service fee varies by agency.
- Print the visa approval letter and visa application form provided by the agency. Fill out the visa application form and gather all the required documents before your flight.
- Upon arrival at one of the 13 international airports in Vietnam, present the visa approval letter and all necessary documents to receive a visa stamp. The list of 13 airports that allow foreign nationals to enter and exit using e-visas includes: Noi Bai, Tan Son Nhat, Cam Ranh, Da Nang, Cat Bi, Can Tho, Phu Quoc, Phu Bai, Van Don, Tho Xuan, Dong Hoi, Phu Cat, and Lien Khuong.
>>>Read more: Teaching English in Vietnam: The Complete Guide & How to Get Started?
The E-visa option saves time as all procedures are conducted online.
- Access the official website for E-visa and provide all the required information, including a portrait photo, a photo of the passport data page, personal information, and your trip schedule. Save the provided Registration Code.
- Pay the fee approximately 25-50 USD.
- Check the result using the Registration Code through the Search Menu on the website. Download and print a hard copy of the visa for use upon arrival at the designated port of entry in Vietnam.
>>>Read more: How to obtain a criminal record certificate in Vietnam?
Vietnam Tourist Visa Extension
Vietnam Tourist Visa Extension
Conditions To Extend
If you wish to extend your stay in Vietnam beyond the permitted duration of your tourist visa, you must meet certain conditions:
- You can only apply for an extension if your current visa is still valid. Applying after your visa has expired may result in penalties and difficulties in the extension process.
- Your visa must not be on the list of visa categories that are not eligible for extension.
- You must have a valid reason for extending your stay, such as medical treatment, business purposes, or personal matters.
>>>Read more: How to Apply for a Work Permit in Vietnam 2023: Requirements + Fees
Things To Prepare
Before applying for a visa extension, make sure to prepare the following documents:
- Your original passport with at least 6 months of validity remaining.
- A completed visa extension application form.
- Passport-sized photos (usually 2 photos).
- Introduction letter of the guaranteeing travel agency sending a representative to do the visa extension for foreigners
- Proof of your valid reason for extending your stay, such as medical documents, business documents, or any other relevant supporting documents.
- Travel license of the guaranteeing travel agency
- Legal documents of guaranteeing travel agency (for first-time application)
How To Extend
To extend your tourist visa in Vietnam, follow these steps:
- Contact the Vietnam Immigration Department or a reputable visa agency to inquire about the visa extension process and requirements.
- Obtain the visa extension application form and fill it out accurately with your information.
- Submit your application and documents to the Vietnam Immigration Department or through a visa agency.
- Pay the visa extension fee, which varies depending on the duration of the extension.
- Wait for the processing of your visa extension. The processing time can vary, but it typically takes a few working days.
Processing Time & Fee Of Vietnam Tourist Visa
Processing Time Of Vietnam Tourist Visa
The processing time for a Vietnam tourist visa can vary depending on the method of application and the embassy or consulate where you apply. Generally, it takes around 5 to 7 working days to process a Vietnam tourist visa.
Fee Of Vietnam Tourist Visa
The fee for a Vietnam tourist visa varies depending on several factors, including your nationality, the type of visa you’re applying for, and the method of application.
- Embassy/Consulate Application: Visa fees at Vietnamese embassies or consulates abroad can vary widely based on your nationality and the type of visa. Fees typically range from $25 to $100 or more.
- Visa On Arrival (VOA): When using the VOA service, you’ll need to pay two fees: the visa approval letter fee (paid online when applying) and the visa stamping fee (paid in cash at the airport upon arrival). The stamping fee also varies based on your nationality and the type of visa.
- E-Visa: Fees can range from around $25 to $50 or more. Payment is made online during the application process.
The process of obtaining a Vietnam tourist visa is an essential step in planning your journey. To ensure a smooth and enjoyable journey, stay updated on the latest visa regulations and guidelines from official sources, and plan your trip accordingly.
Can I change my tourist visa to another visa?
It’s generally possible to change your tourist visa to another type of visa within Vietnam, but the process can be complex and may require assistance from a local immigration office or visa agency.
Do I need a visa to visit Vietnam as a US citizen?
Yes, as a US citizen, you typically need a visa to visit Vietnam.
Can I get a 90 day tourist visa for Vietnam?
Vietnam typically offers tourist visas with durations of 15, 30, or 90 days. The availability of a 90-day tourist visa may depend on your nationality and specific circumstances.
Can I use this visa to do my short-term business work?
A tourist visa is intended for leisure and tourism purposes. Using it for short-term business work may not be permitted. Consider applying for a business visa if you plan to engage in work-related activities in Vietnam.
How many times can I extend my travel visa?
The number of times you can extend your travel visa in Vietnam depends on the type of visa you hold and the specific circumstances. Generally, you can extend your visa multiple times, but there may be limitations and requirements.
When should I extend my visa?
It’s advisable to extend your visa well before its expiration date to avoid any potential overstay issues. The exact timing for extending your visa may vary depending on the type of visa and the specific regulations. It is advisable to start the extension process well in advance, preferably a few weeks before your current visa expires, to allow for any processing time and potential delays.