Below, VTJ will update you with the latest regulations on Vietnam entry procedures for foreigners entering Vietnam in 2023, as well as how to extend your visa if you already have one.
According to the latest regulations, the 2023 tourist visa only allows foreigners to stay continuously for 30 days per entry. This is a new regulation in Clause 13, Article 1 of the Immigration Law 2019. In addition, tourist visas can be extended after staying for 30 days. You can apply for a tourist visa online and get the results in 1 day.
Latest Vietnam entry procedures regulations
Latest Vietnam entry procedures regulations (Source: Internet)
Now, it has become much easier to enter Vietnam than it was during the Covid-19 outbreak.
Foreigners are allowed to enter Vietnam for any purpose. This means they can enter the country to travel, work, visit relatives, study abroad, etc. or for any purpose, as long as it is lawful.
Foreigners can enter the country in many different ways. Some popular entry ways are:
– Entry by entry letter
– Entry by electronic visa (Evisa)
– 15 days, 30 days visa-free entry
– 5 years visa-free entry
– Entry under temporary residence card
– Entry of APEC card
Foreigners entering the country will choose one of the above-mentioned forms to suit the purpose of their trip and their conditions.
Moreover, in terms of regulations, the Vietnam entry procedures are for all foreigners, regardless of nationality. All have the right to enter Vietnam for some purpose with the appropriate entry form.
However, it should also be noted that, for many cultural and political reasons, the immigration process for each nationality will be different.
Read more: Work Visa Process
What documents do foreigners need to enter Vietnam?
What documents do foreigners need to enter Vietnam? (Source: Internet)
In general, the Vietnam entry procedures are simply encapsulated in the question: What documents do foreigners need to enter?
A detailed answer depends on each specific case. But basically, upon entry it is required to have:
– Original passport
– Documents proving that you are allowed to enter the country (entry letter, temporary residence card, visa, visa exemption …)
For each different purpose, each different entry form, there will be a different number of documents. For example, when entering to visit relatives, you must prove the relative relationship by birth certificate or marriage certificate…
Read more: Which documents do I need to teach English in Vietnam legally?
Vietnam entry procedures for foreigners
Below, VTJ will also detail some basic documents for you when entering Vietnam. For each form, the documents will be different. Follow up and choose the most suitable entry form.
Vietnam entry procedures by Immigration Letter
Vietnam entry procedures by Immigration Letter (Source: Internet)
This form of entry is for all nationalities who want to enter Vietnam. An official letter of entry is the main form of entry when foreigners come to work, visit relatives, study abroad or there is no other more suitable form of entry. In general, this is the form for all foreigners who want to enter.
Procedures for entry by immigration letter at the airport, foreigners need to prepare:
- Immigration letter
- Expenses for visa issuance at the airport.
- Form NA1. (You can declare it in advance or you can declare it at the border gate.)
- Photo 3×4
Place of implementation: Vietnam border gate: Noi Bai airport, Tan Son Nhat airport, Huu Nghi border gate, Moc Bai…
Note: It is necessary to apply for an entry visa first.
Read more: Frequently asked questions about E-visa in Vietnam
Vietnam entry procedures by Visa Free or Visa Exemption
Foreigners who are eligible for visa free or visa exemption (Southeast Asian countries, Korea, Japan, UK, Russia, etc.) will be able to enter Vietnam without a visa.
They also only need to prepare a valid passport to be able to enter the country.
– Foreigners do not need to pay fees at the border gate when entering this way.
Passport validity should not be less than 6 months.
|STT||Nationality||Time of stay|
|25||UK (excluding British passport holders abroad – BNO)||15 days|
Vietnam entry procedures for entry by electronic visa (e-visa)
E-visa is the most modern type of visa today. It shows many outstanding advantages compared to the traditional paper visa form.
This is a multi-purpose visa. That is, foreigners can enter for all purposes with an electronic visa.
To be allowed to enter this form, foreigners need to prepare:
- E-visa has been issued.
Popular types of visas for foreigners entering Vietnam
Popular types of visas for foreigners entering Vietnam (Source: Internet)
Each entry purpose will have a corresponding visa type. Therefore, there are many types of visas for foreigners to enter Vietnam.
According to experience, most foreigners will enter with Business visa (business visa, business visa) or tourist visa.
Enter Vietnam with Business Visa
The condition to enter with a DN1 business visa is to have a guarantor company.
The maximum duration of DN1 visa is 3 months. After that, foreigners can extend further.
Enter Vietnam by e-visa
E-visa is a trend of Vietnam and around the world. This is the most modern type of visa today with the biggest advantages: Simple procedures, quick processing.
The condition to enter with an e-visa is to be in the list of 80 countries allowed by the Immigration Department.
E-visa is suitable for tourist or short-term business entry cases.
Enter Vietnam with tourist visa
Foreigners entering with a DL tourist visa are very popular.
The condition for foreigners to get a tourist visa is to have an international travel agency guarantee. They have to follow the tour available from the tour operator.
So what if you want to enter the country as a tourist?
If foreigners want to enter the country freely, they must apply for an electronic visa.
Visa extension procedures for foreigners- newly updated in 2023
Visa extension procedures for foreigners include
Step 1: Prepare visa extension documents
– For individuals who are sponsoring foreign friends and spouses, they must apply for the seal of the commune police on form NA5.
– For companies, make information declaration and sign and stamp form NA5.
Enterprises guaranteeing visa extension for foreigners shall carry out procedures at the Immigration Department or the Immigration Department.
Step 3: Pay the visa extension fee
The visa applicant must pay the fee according to the type of visa applied for, in case the immigration authority grants a shorter term because the application is not eligible for a long-term grant, the excess fee will not be refunded.
Step 4: Get a new visa-issued passport
The processing time for visa extension procedures for foreigners is 05 working days.
Conditions for visa extension for foreigners
Foreigners are considered for a visa when they meet the following conditions:
- Foreigners temporarily stay for the current visa purpose.
- Have made a declaration of temporary residence at the current place of residence.
- There are companies or individuals guaranteeing legal visa extension.
- Use a valid Passport.
- The reason for applying for a visa extension is in accordance with regulations.
The length of the visa extension will be long or short, depending on the documents proving the purpose of continuing temporary residence in Vietnam that]] the foreigner has.
Read more: Vietnam visa procedure at the airport: a complete guide
How to extend a visa for foreigners?
How to extend a visa for foreigners? (Source: Internet)
According to the Immigration Law, Visa is issued by a competent Vietnamese diplomatic mission abroad or an immigration management agency in Vietnam. Therefore, foreigners can apply for a visa at one of the following agencies:
- Apply for a visa at the Vietnamese Embassy abroad.
- Apply for a visa at the immigration authorities of international airports.
- Apply for a visa at the Immigration Department or the Immigration Department of the provinces and cities.
How many days in advance do I have to extend my visa if I don’t want to be fined?
Foreigners will be fined: “(i) A fine of between VND 500,000 and VND 2,000,000: 1-15 days or less beyond the time limit without permission from a competent authority. (ii) A fine of from VND 3,000,000 to VND 5,000,000: 16 days or more overdue without the permission of the competent authority.”
Thus, no later than the last day of the visa period, foreigners must carry out procedures for a Vietnam visa extension if they do not want to be sanctioned for administrative violations during their stay in Vietnam.
In what cases can foreigners change the purpose of temporary residence?
Normally, when the purpose of residence in Vietnam is different from the purpose of the visa upon entry, a foreigner must exit the country before requesting the Vietnamese diplomatic mission to issue a visa. Currently, the law allows 4 cases to change the type of Vietnam visa, including:
- Foreigners who extend visas, apply for temporary residence cards have papers proving that they are investors or representatives of foreign organizations investing in Vietnam in accordance with Vietnamese law
- Foreigners who extend visas, apply for temporary residence cards Have documents proving their relationship as father, mother, wife, husband or children with the inviting or guarantor;
- Foreigners who extend visas, apply for temporary residence cards Are invited or guaranteed to work by agencies or organizations and have work permits or are certified not to be subject to work permits in accordance with the labor law. motion;
- Foreigners who extend visas, apply for temporary residence cards Enter by electronic visa and have a work permit or confirm that they are not eligible for a work permit in accordance with the labor law.
Note: In case of conversion of visa purposes, foreigners will be granted new visas with symbols and duration suitable to the converted purposes.
Read more: Temporary residence card (TRC) in Vietnam
Does the duration of visas for foreigners change?
Does the duration of visas for foreigners change? (Source: Internet)
The maximum duration of visas and temporary residence cards issued to foreigners is as follows:
- SQ, EV visas are valid for no more than 30 days.
- Visas with symbols NG1, NG2, NG3, NG4, LV1, LV2, DT4, DN1, DN2, NN1, NN2, NN3, DH, PV1, PV2 and TT are valid for no more than 12 months.
- LD1, LD2 visas are valid for no more than 02 years.
- The DT3 visa is valid for no more than 3 years.
- LS, DT1, DT2 visas are valid for no more than 5 years
- The duration of temporary residence is equal to the duration of the visa (visa); In the case of a visa with the symbol DL for a duration of more than 30 days, the temporary residence will be granted for 30 days and will be considered for extension of temporary residence according to regulations.
For example: If a foreigner enters with a DN1 or DN2 visa with a period of 3 months, he will be granted a temporary stay of 3 months according to the duration of the visa. However, if a foreigner enters on a tourist visa (Visa with DL symbol) with a visa duration of 3 months, at the border gate upon entry, a temporary residence stamp will be stamped for 30 days.
- For persons entitled to visa exemption under international treaties to which Vietnam is a contracting party, the temporary residence period shall be granted according to the provisions of the international treaty. stay 30 days;
- Citizens of countries that are unilaterally exempted from visas by Vietnam, they will be granted temporary residence for 15 days.
Vietnam is a welcoming country that offers a wide range of opportunities for foreigners who wish to live, work or study within its borders. As a foreigner, it is important to follow the Vietnam entry procedures carefully and obtain the appropriate visas to avoid any legal issues during your stay.
In case you need to extend your visa, make sure to plan ahead and follow the requirements set by the Vietnamese government. By doing so, you can enjoy your time in Vietnam with ease and without any unnecessary stress.