Are you planning to visit Vietnam in 2023 and stay longer than your initial visa allows? Or perhaps you’re already in Vietnam and need to extend or renew your visa to continue your stay? The visa extension and renewal process can be a daunting task, but fear not! In this comprehensive guide, VTJ will walk you through the step-by-step process to extend your Vietnam visa.
>>>Read more: Visa in Vietnam: Vietnam Visa Application & Requirements in 2023
>>>Read more: Vietnam Emergency Visa – Expedited & Urgent Vietnam Visa 2023
The Difference Between Vietnam Visa Extension And Renewal
How To Extend Vietnam Visa 2023
What Is a Vietnam Visa Extension?
A Vietnam visa extension refers to the process of prolonging your stay in Vietnam beyond the expiration date of your current visa. This option is suitable for individuals who are already in Vietnam and wish to extend their stay without leaving the country. The extension allows you to continue your activities, whether it’s for tourism, business, or other purposes, without the need to apply for a new visa.
>>>Read more: Vietnam Visa Exemption/5-year Visa 2023: How to apply & Requirements
What Is a Vietnam Visa Renewal?
On the other hand, a Vietnam visa renewal involves obtaining a completely new visa to replace your current one. This option is typically chosen when your current visa has expired, or you need to change your visa type or duration. Unlike an extension, a renewal requires you to leave Vietnam and apply for a new visa from a Vietnamese embassy or consulate in another country.
>>>Read more: Vietnam Tourist Visa: How to Apply & Requirements in 2023
Requirements To Extend Or Renew A Vietnam Visa
Requirements To Extend Vietnam Visa
Before proceeding with the visa extension or renewal process, it’s important to familiarize yourself with the requirements. While the specific requirements may vary depending on your visa type and the duration of your stay, here are some common prerequisites:
- Valid Passport: Your passport must have at least six months of validity remaining beyond your intended stay in Vietnam.
- Current Visa: You must possess a valid visa that is eligible for extension or renewal.
- Purpose of Extension/Renewal: You need to provide a valid reason for extending or renewing your visa, such as tourism, business, or employment.
- Supporting Documents: Prepare any necessary supporting documents, such as a letter of invitation, employment contract, or proof of accommodation.
- Financial Proof: You may be required to demonstrate sufficient funds to support your stay in Vietnam.
- Application Form: Fill out the appropriate application form for visa extension or renewal, which can be obtained from the Vietnam Immigration Department.
>>>Read more: How to Apply for Vietnam e-Visa 2023: Costs & Processing Time
Why Is Visa Extension Important?
Visa extension is crucial for individuals who wish to prolong their stay in Vietnam legally. Failure to extend a vietnam visa before it expires can result in penalties, fines, or even deportation. By extending your visa, you can continue to enjoy your time in Vietnam without any legal complications, ensuring a smooth and uninterrupted stay.
>>>Read more: Vietnam Visa on Arrival (Vietnam Voa) 2023: How to Apply
Where To Extend Visa In Vietnam – Vietnam immigration office locations
Where To Extend Vietnam Visa – Vietnam immigration office locations
To extend Vietnam visa, you will need to visit the nearest Vietnam Immigration Office. These offices are located in major cities across the country, including Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Da Nang. It’s important to note that the specific office you need to visit may depend on your visa type and the location where you initially entered Vietnam. It’s advisable to check the official website of the Vietnam Immigration Department for the exact office locations and their operating hours.
>>>Read more: What documents do foreigners in Vietnam need in 2023?
How To Extend Vietnam Visa
How To Extend Vietnam Visa
How To Extend Vietnam Tourist Visa
A tourist visa is issued to foreigners entering Vietnam for tourism purposes. It allows a stay of up to 30 days for each entry, with a visa validity of up to 3 months. Tourist visas can be extended upon arrival in Vietnam. The extension duration can be either 15 days or 30 days.
>>>Read more: Vietnam entry procedures and visa extension for foreigners – updated 2023
To extend a tourist visa, foreigners must meet the following conditions:
Share Your Expat Experience and Get Paid: Become a Freelance Video Maker for VTJVietnam Teaching Jobs$5 - $7 for a short video.
[HA NOI] IELTS TEACHERS (PART-TIME)IVYPREP EDUCATION JSCUp to 22$/hour;
[THU DAU MOT CITY] FULLTIME NATIVE ENGLISH TEACHERSWall Street EnglishGuaranteed monthly salary; Visa, work permit, TRC, health check and police check paid for by WSE; A one-month completion bonus
[Hanoi] Primary Principal for International TrackTrue North SchoolCompetitive financial package, bonus, incentives; Up to 33 leave days per academic year; Premium healthcare insurance
FULL-TIME Expat ESL Teachers in Binh Duong and Dong NaiVUS The English CenterStarting from: 18.5$ to 20.5$/hour; Housing allowance; Comprehensive work permit and visa/TRC support & remuneration
[HANOI] FULL-TIME IELTS TEACHERSCAMBRIDGE LMSUp to 2000$/ month, Support Visa, Work permit, TRC, Bonus: 500$/ year
[HANOI] PRIMARY HOMEROOM TEACHERHorizon International Bilingual School2300 - 3000 USD; Housing Allowance; Free lunch at school
FULL-TIME Expat ESL Teachers Wanted - Up to 25 mil VND bonus for early startVUS The English CenterStarting from: 18.5$ to 20.5$/hour; Visa/TRC & work permit renewal costs covered
[Hanoi] Admissions Officer (Expat only)True North SchoolCompetitive salary package; Premium healthcare insurance; 22+ paid leave days per year
[Hanoi] Secondary/High School Math TeacherTrue North SchoolCompetitive financial package, bonus, incentives; Premium healthcare
- Temporary residence in Vietnam for vacation or travel purposes.
- Having a guaranteed travel agency in Vietnam.
- Possessing a valid passport with a minimum validity of 6 months.
- Providing all necessary documents to prove eligibility for the extended visa type.
- Not being prohibited or restricted from entering Vietnam.
>>>Read more: Vietnam Business Visa 2023 [Updated]: Requirements & How to apply
Both foreigners and the sponsor/guaranteed travel agency must prepare the following documents to extend Vietnam visa:
- A certified copy of the travel agency’s travel license.
- Confirmation of temporary stay at tourist accommodation establishments.
- A valid passport with at least 2 blank pages for stamps.
- A visa application form for visa issuance and stay extension (Form NA5).
- Temporary residence card (if applicable) or an online temporary residence registration or temporary residence registration certified by the police.
>>>Read more: Teaching English in Vietnam: The Complete Guide & How to Get Started?
How To Apply
Follow these steps to apply for a tourist visa extension:
- Prepare all the required documents as mentioned above and submit them to the sponsoring travel agency.
- The sponsoring travel agency will submit the documents to the office of the Vietnam Immigration Department.
- Pay the visa extension fee based on the type of visa being applied for. The review process usually takes around 5 working days.
- Retrieve your passport with the visa extension stamped.
Processing Time & Fee
The processing time for a tourist visa extension is typically 5-8 working days. The fee for the extension varies depending on the service fee charged by the travel agency and the type of visa being applied for.
How To Extend Vietnam Business Visa
A business visa extension in Vietnam is granted to foreigners who visit the country for business purposes, such as attending conferences/seminars, collaborating with Vietnamese enterprises, signing contracts, or exploring business opportunities. The validity of a Vietnam business visa ranges from 1 month to 1 year, with a maximum stay of 90 days per entry. There are two types of business visas available: DN1 and DN2.
- DN1 Visa: Granted to foreigners working with enterprises and other legally recognized organizations in Vietnam.
- DN2 Visa: Granted to foreigners offering services, establishing commercial presence, or engaging in activities outlined in international treaties to which Vietnam is a member.
Business visas can be extended for up to 1 year, allowing for single or multiple entries.
- Temporary stay in Vietnam for business purposes.
- Sponsored or guaranteed by a Vietnam enterprise/organization.
- Possess a passport with a validity of at least 6 months prior to the extension period.
- Provide all necessary documents proving eligibility for the extended visa type.
- Not prohibited from entering or forced to leave Vietnam.
Document requirements for a business visa extension include:
- Certified copies of legal documents from the guaranteeing enterprise (business license, seal certificate).
- Visa application form for visa issuance and stay extension (Form NA5).
- Original passport with a validity of 6 months and 2 blank pages.
- Temporary residence confirmation (online registration or police-certified temporary residence registration).
How To Apply
To apply for a business visa extension, you can choose to work with a visa agency or a sponsor in Vietnam. Applying through a visa agency is recommended to simplify administrative procedures and ensure a smooth approval process. The application process typically involves four steps:
- Prepare all necessary documents.
- Submit the documents to the Vietnam Immigration Office, either in Hanoi, Danang, Ho Chi Minh City, or your residing province’s Immigration Office.
- Pay the required fee and wait for the result. The processing time is approximately 5 working days from the receipt of a valid application and full payment.
- Collect the visa extension by returning to the Immigration Office at the appointed time.
Processing Time & Fee
The processing time for a business visa extension is typically 5 to 7 working days for the Immigration Department to review the application.
Fees involved in the process include the service fee charged by the visa agency (which may vary) and a stamping fee of USD 10.
>>>Read more: How to Apply for a Work Permit in Vietnam 2023: Requirements + Fees
New Vietnam eVisa Extension 2023
Starting from August 15, 2023, the duration of stay for Vietnam eVisa will be extended from 30 days to 90 days. This significant change allows travelers who apply for their visa on or after this date to enjoy a stay of up to 3 months in Vietnam.
Moreover, the modifications to the eVisa system also introduce the convenience of a multiple-entry visa. With this update, eVisa holders will have the flexibility to enter and exit Vietnam multiple times using the same visa, further enhancing their travel experience.
Extend Vietnam visa is a process that allows you to continue your stay in this beautiful country legally. By following the steps outlined in this complete guide, you can ensure a smooth and hassle-free visa extension experience. Remember to check the latest updates and regulations from the Vietnam Immigration Department or consult with a reputable visa agency to stay informed about any changes or additional requirements that may arise in the future.
Is Vietnam visa extension available for visa exemption?
No, Vietnam visa extension is not available for visa exemption. Visa exemption allows certain nationalities to enter Vietnam for a specific period without a visa, but it cannot be extended.
What happens if you overstay Vietnam visa?
If you overstay your Vietnam visa, you may be subject to penalties, fines, or other legal consequences. It is important to adhere to the visa regulations and leave the country before your visa expires.
Can I get a visa for Vietnam for longer than 30 days?
Yes, it is possible to obtain a visa for Vietnam that allows a stay longer than 30 days. Options include tourist visas, business visas, and other types of visas with longer validity and duration of stay.
Can you extend a 90 day visa?
The possibility of extending a 90-day visa depends on the specific visa type and the regulations set by the Vietnam Immigration Department. It is recommended to consult with the immigration authorities or a visa agency for detailed information and assistance.
How many times can a visit visa be extended?
The number of times a visit visa can be extended in Vietnam varies depending on the visa type and the specific circumstances. It is advisable to check with the immigration authorities or a visa agency for accurate information regarding visa extension limits.