TABLE OF CONTENTS
Before moving to another country to live and start a new life, you should take a look at finding an ideal house or apartment, specially in Vietnam. We live in our homes so we fill them with memories. Time and energy spent in a house will help to elleviate the importance of the property. We eat, sleep, feel safe, laugh and cry in our homes and that makes them really important to us. They become part of our identity.
There are so many types of housing in Vietnam so you need to be sure which one is the best choice for you. This article will show you specific differences of 3 main types of apartment for rent in Vietnam as well as how to find the suitable one to prepare for a new life here.
This is one of the most affordable housing in Vietnam. You can live in shared apartments for the entire time you teach and you will live with other homemates in an apartment where you have to share your kitchen, living room, bathroom,etc. Communal living in shared apartments creates opportunities to meet new people. Usually shared apartments are split between 2–4 persons. Each tenant has their own lockable room. Shared apartments are always single sex – that is, the apartment is rented to either all female or all male tenants.
- COST: ranges between $250-$400 a month or higher for a more luxurious shared apartment.
- INCLUSION: wifi, parking, basic furniture (bed, refrigerator, table, cabinet, fan,etc.)
- EXCLUSION: cleaning service, water costs, electricity, service management fee,
- PRO: affordable, easily to have new friends, comfortable, short-term contract (3 months – 6 months)
- CONS: Pets are not allowed, suitable for single person, limited privacy.
2. Serviced Apartments:
Serviced Apartment is a fully furnished apartment, available for both short-term and long-term stays, providing amenities for daily use, housekeeping and a range of other services, all included within the rental price. Serviced apartments offer facilities much like a traditional hotel but with added space, convenience and privacy like home, so you can enjoy living like a local when travelling/working/bussiness trip – and usually at a much lower cost.
- COST: ranges between $550 – $700/month for a normal serviced apartment with full of necessary furniture or higher for a more luxurious shared apartment.
- All pieces of furniture (couch, beds, closets, tables, chairs…)… Bedding & bed linen (mattress, pillows and bed sheets)
- Kitchen accessories & kitchenware (oven and/or microwave, cooker, water boiler, pots, plates, glasses…)
- Internet (Wi-Fi)
- Cleaning a few times a week (including or not dishwashing)
- Building management fees
- Usage of the facilities (gym, pool..)
- Parking & security
- Laundry equipment (washers/dryers, either private or shared)
- PRO: suitable for expats who live with family; more privacy, less worry about safety of the house, short-term contract (6 months) or long-term contract (> 1 year)
- CONS: high price, a curfew in place after 10 or 11 pm (You will need to ring and call the security guard to open the door and access the building after curfew time), pets are not allowed.
3. Renting a house:
Renting a house in Vietnam is not difficult if you have high and stable salary. By renting your own house, you can live with all of your family members and your pets without any preventions. Houses are usually between two to four floors and any number of bedrooms. The first floor is most often a mudroom for shoes and motorbikes and the living space upstairs. Houses are almost always larger and more often a better deal.
- COST: from $800 – $1000/month for 2/3-floor house (depends on location, size, furniture,etc)
- Almost of modern furniture (couch, beds, closets, tables, chairs, fan, chest of drawers,etc)
- Internet (Wi-Fi)
- Comfortable and free like your own home.
- No curfew
- Pets are allowed.
- Not under management
- More privacy
- CONS: High-price
4. How to find a suitable apartment in Vietnam?
Facebook: Click here to appoarch some of high – interactive Facebook groups for housing/apartment in Vietnam.
Craigslist: Craigslist (stylized as craigslist) is an American classified advertisements website with sections devoted to housing, for sale, items wanted, services, community service, gigs, and discussion forums. You can easily find an apartment in Vietnam on Craigslist with a few basic manipulations.
Contact a real estate agent: There are loads of real estate agents that you will come across on Facebook groups. Send them a message with the information of what exactly you are looking for and your budget, they will help you find your suitable apartment.
Remember to make sure that you have a work permit or a business visa to be able to sign up an apartment. You should ask for the safety of the apartment before signing the contract. You also need to check if its suitable for your needs (distance to your work place, public transportation, child and/or pet-friendly). And last but not least, make sure that you have your name and right dates of occupancy on the contract to avoid any illegalities.