TERTIARY: BA (Eng; Psych); Honours (Eng); Masters (cum laude; Cultural and Media Studies): 1996 − 2001
University of KwaZulu-Natal, Durban
Dissertation: Globalised Girlhood: The teachings of femininity in Cosmopolitan and True Love. My comparative case study considered whether women’s magazines (in the then-absence of teen titles) serve as developmental markers and informal educational devices in the passage from girlhood to adulthood. Through text analysis and focus-group research, I compared the magazines’ content, tone, brand extensions and reception among teenage girls in Durban. A summary was published in Globalised Girlhood (issue 51, 2005), part of the international Glocal Youth media-education programme. As a graduate student, I wrote for Democracy Watch (at the Democracy for All Programme, Centre for Socio-Legal Studies, UKZN).
SECONDARY: 1991 − 1995
Kloof High School, Durban − Took part in Speech & Drama festivals
Pretoria High School for Girls, Gauteng − Elected as a hostel captain
PRIMARY: 1984 − 1990
Birch Acres Primary School, Johannesburg − Elected as a prefect;
attended the Ellspark Extramural School for Highly Gifted Children
November 2018 − CURRENT
Chaiyaphum Province, Thailand – IEP teacher, Nongbuadaeng Wittaya School
- As the only foreign English teacher in the Intensive English Programme: Give lessons to classes (Mathayom 1−6) that cover grammar, reading, writing, speaking and listening.
- Create and submit weekly lesson plans
- Create Learning Unit tests, mid-term tests and final tests
- Help facilitate English Camps (two per semester)
- Assist the Thai teachers with any extra-curricular English activities (plays, performances, etc.)
October 2016 – December 2017
VEGA Design, Branding and Business College, South Africa – Part-time lecturer
- Teach the Copywriting course to first-year Creative Brand Communications students
- Lecture: Applied Communication Techniques; Introduction to Scholarship; Creative Brand Communications (all first-year level)
- Lecture: Strategic Brand Communications (third-year level)
- Supervise (and grade) Honours students’ final research dissertations
January 2004 – June 2005
Centre for Culture, Communication & Media Studies, University of KwaZulu-Natal – Editorial assistant to Professor Keyan Tomaselli
- Edit the professor’s book projects, conference papers and journal articles.
- Personal editing projects during this time included dissertations for foreign-exchange students.