David Lookinbee Kipley
August 2013 - August 2014
University of East Anglia – Master of Arts, Creative Writing
(UEA was ranked 1st in the subject of Creative Writing in the U.K. for 2014.)
August 2012 - August 2013
Queen Mary University of London – Master of Arts, English Literature (QMUL is a constituent of the elite Russell Group of Universities.)
August 2007 - May 2011
Azusa Pacific University, Los Angeles County – Bachelor of Arts, English & Writing
January 2019 – February 2019
International House, Bangkok – CELTA trainee
● Have recently completed the 120 hour CELTA certification course in Bangkok, and have been awarded a provisional grade of "pass."
● Have not been issued my certificate yet.
January 2018 – January 2019
MarkMonitor, London – Sales Development Representative
● MarkMonitor is the corporate registrar to the parent companies of the top-ten most trafficked websites on the internet; we are the global leader in online brand/intellectual property protection, and boast the largest anti-phishing SOC in the world.
● I supported our Domain Management, Brand/IP Protection and Anti-Fraud teams across a globe-spanning sales territory by opening doors, qualifying leads, and making sure the sales pipeline is always full.
● I cold-called the English Speaking world from Oslo to Cape Town (Nordics, Baltics, Eastern Europe, Netherlands, UK&I, Sub-Saharan Africa, Turkey, Israel) and set meetings with Heads of Legal/Intellectual Property/Cyber Security at companies valued at +$50m.
● I worked across a number of industry verticals including (but not limited to): automotive, financial services, mining, luxury and consumer goods, oil & gas/green energy, pharmaceuticals, transport & logistics, retail, electronics, SaaS, entertainment and blockchain/cryptocurrencies.
● In FY2018 I generated +50 new business opportunities with companies like: A.P. Møller – Mærsk, Penguin Random House, Old Mutual Finance, Carlsberg A/S, Metso Oyj, JCB Ltd., Standard Bank, BUPA, Pink Floyd, and Rubik’s Cube.
● I assisted in generating $220,000 in new business for FY2018, and consistently hit my quarterly targets.
August 2017 - December 2017
● Generated/sold leads using data-mining techniques.
● Was head-hunted during this period.
November 2015 - August 2017
Freshminds, London - Associate Consultant: Client Research & Database Management
● Generated and managed an in-house database containing 2,000 prospective B2B sales leads.
● Sent targeted emails to corporate heads of strategy and strategy directors across London and the EU intro- ducing them to my Managing Director and asking if they’d like to meet.
● Assisted my MD in meeting decision makers at companies like: Anglo American, Index Ventures, BoA Merrill-Lynch, and the private/hedge funds of places like KKR or BlackRock.
● Assisted in-house research teams on BD initiatives run from our offices by clients like Google.
August 2015 - November 2015
● Tended bar in a gastropub called “The Hops and Glory” whilst interviewing and applying for jobs full-time.
December 2014 - August 2015
The Pasadena Independent/the El Monte Examiner, Los Angeles County - Political Columnist & Investigative Journalist
● Commended by The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) for a piece on police brutality.
● Linked a multi-million dollar embezzlement scandal to a toxic waste spill and its cover-up.
May 2015 - August 2015
Elite Prep Academy, Los Angeles County - English Composition Summer School Teacher
● Taught essay writing to a group of students, aged 10 - 13, at a SAT Test Prep center in the L.A. suburbs.
January 2006 - August 2015
Various, Los Angeles County & London - Odd jobs in hospitality, and freelance writing/editing gigs.